Address & Name Change

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Did your name change because of a marriage, divorce, or because you’re creating a new identity?

You’ll want to update official documents to avoid issues.

Updating your name should reflect on your important documents. These documents could include your passport, license, and personal ID. This presents a great opportunity to fix errors on the documents, too!

In this guide, we share how to update your information across these documents, why it matters, and some of the other benefits of keeping your information up-to-date.
Changing or Correcting a U.S. Passport
Perhaps you noticed a mistake with your U.S. passport. Or, a lot has changed since you were issued the passport like getting married. You’ll want to update this information if you intend to travel as it may make your time going through security easier and more pleasant.

There are three instances in which you will change your name – each having different requirements:

  • Requesting within 1-year of your passport issuance
  • Requesting a year after your passport was issued
  • You’re using a new name but cannot document the change

If you need to change your information after having a passport for less than a year:

  • Complete the DS-5504 form
  • Include the important documents:
  • Recent U.S. passport
  • Original or certified marriage, divorce, or court order papers
  • A color passport photo

You will send this information, via USPS, to the address listed on the DS-5504 form.
If you’re changing your information after having the passport for 1-year:

  • Complete the DS-82 form
  • Include the important documents:
  • Recent U.S. passport
  • Original or certified marriage, divorce, or court order papers
  • A color passport photo
  • Payment for applicant fees

This is the process used to renew your passport through the mail. Yet, if you’re unable to do so or ineligible, you may file the DS-11 form with the same information/documents.
Everyone else – for those with a new name but cannot document the change – will need to file the DS-11 form, including evidence of their U.S. citizenship, present a valid ID, passport photo, and pay fees.  DS-60 may be required along with this application verified for two individuals and backed by 3 certified documents or public records.

Changing or Correcting a U.S. Driver’s License

You should update your driver’s license if you’ve recently changed your name. This keeps your information current with the DMV, helping you avoid issues like when renewing a license, vehicle registration, and the like.

To change your driver’s license information – you will:

  • Locate a DMV near me in your state
  • Update your information with the Social Security Administration:
  • Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card
  • Bring or mail the application to a local Social Security office
  • Provide proof of identification and lawful status
  • Update your information with your local DMV:
  • Find a DMV office near you
  • Provide proof of Identification
  • Provide proof of your Social Security number
  • Provide proof of lawful U.S. presence
  • Provide proof of your name change
  • Confirm and sign the licensing documents
  • Pay any applicable fees

Your DMV will contact the SSA to verify your information. If everything is right, the DMV will issue a new driver’s license with your updated information. Afterward, you should consider updating other information you have on file with the DMV such as your vehicle registration.

Updating your ID card is largely the same process and depends on your state.
You will provide proof of identification through other means like a passport, birth certificate, legal name change documentation, or Social Security card. This process is done online, by mail, and in person in many states – though check with your local government offices to get the exact details.

Who You Should Alert about the Name Change?

Updating your personal information may seem tedious but it’s almost over. You’ll want to alert a few other, main service providers and organizations before your task is done.
Consider updating your information with:

  • The U.S. Postal Service
  • Your employer
  • Insurance companies
  • Bank or credit union
  • Credit card companies
  • Legal services
  • Online accounts
  • School or university
  • Voter registration office

Whether you tell extended members of your family, associates, and friends is up to you.
Changing Your Address on File?
Address updates are largely the same process as you’ll submit identification forms. Use your name change as an opportunity to update your home address with important agencies.