How to Replace a Lost Passport?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

This step by step guide to replacing a lost passport would discuss how to replace your lost U.S. passport book or card. If so the first thing you should do is report the passport lost. This will help the United States Department of State flag your lost or stolen passports before it ends up in the wrong hands or you become a victim of identity theft. How to replace a lost U.S. passport is a simple process once you follow the correct documentation, and apply using the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport.

Steps to Replacing a Lost U.S. Passport

  • Report U.S. Passport Lost
  • Complete DS-64 & DS-11 Application Form
  • Get Supporting Documents
  • Find Acceptance Facility

Lost passports are commonly misplaced due to infrequent use. If your U.S. Passport was lost or stolen file the application form DS-64 for Lost or Stolen Passport.   If you found your passport after reporting it as lost you will need to still apply for a new passport as the recovered passport would be invalid for us.

To Report Your Lost or Stolen the United States Passport

Contact a representative at the following number 1.877.487.2778 between 8 am to 10 p.m. eastern standard time: Monday to Friday except for Federal Holidays.

Requirements for Lost or Stolen Passport

  • Submit Application Form DS-64 Or Call Department of State to Report Passport Stolen
  • You must also submit form DS-11.
  • Provide Proof of Identity
  • Passport Fee

Sign the complete the Application Form DS-64. Be sure to read, sign,  complete and mail the entire application form to:
United States Department of State Address

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036

Time Frame for Getting Your Lost Passport Replaced

Getting your lost passport replaced is a very simple process, but it still depends on where and when you file your DS-64 application form. Sometimes a stolen passport could take as much as six weeks or even longer get back. If you find your passport book after you submit or call the State Department, the found passport will not be valid and you will need to re-apply for a new passport.

If You Are Traveling in Two Weeks or Less

Regular passports can be processed and obtained in 4-6 weeks. If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks you will need to expedite your passport. The best way to accomplish that is to complete the required forms, locate a regional passport agency, make an appointment and show up on time for your appointment. If you are more than 15 minutes late you will need to reschedule your appointment.

Passport Tips: If you do not live near a Regional Passport Agency, a private expediting service can do this step for you. You can get your passport as quickly as 24 hours through a private expediting service.

The required documents are the same as mentioned above however you will need to bring proof of immediate travel for expedited service. In emergency situations, you can get your passport in as little as 24 hours.

Additional Lost or Stolen Passport Information

If You Are Out of the Country

Contact your nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Invalidation of Lost or Stolen Passport.

When you report your passport lost or stolen the passport will be invalidated and cannot be used for travel.  If the passport is later recovered you must mail it to the address listed on the form DS-64.

Report of Non-Receipt of Replaced Passport

A replaced passport should be expected 10 days from being informed the passport was issued. If for some reason you do not receive your passport within 10 business days you should report this to the National Passport Information Center.  If you do not report the passport as not received for a period of 90 or more days you will need to re-apply for a new passport.