U.S. Passport Forms

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Applying or renewing a passport involves submitting appropriate forms to your local passport office or passport agency. Whether you’re a first-time applicant, renewing a child’s passport, in need of an expedited passport card, and the like, you’ll find this page a fantastic travel resource.

We’ve collected the most common passport documents, applications, and forms on this page.

Below, you can learn about the various passport forms and download links so you can print, file, and submit them at an office, agency, or by mail.

U.S. Passport Application Forms

The following are the most common U.S. passport forms requested by individuals. These cover the core needs of those applying, renewing, recovering, and/or correcting passports.

Form DS-11 (Application for a U.S. Passport)

The DS-11 Application is for U.S. citizens who need to get a new passport or a passport that was stolen, lost, and/or expired. The Department of State offers a ‘form filler’ option that allows you to input information and print out the completed DS-11 form. Or, you can download, print, and file the form with the downloadable version.

The State Department has made changes to the application form where the applicant can now fill out the form, and download a barcoded copy of the application DS-11 form.

Refer to our DS-11 overview and guide for additional details about this passport form.

Form DS-82 (U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals)

The DS-82 form is used to renew an eligible U.S. citizen (adult) passport. This form has two options, one being a version you can electronically fill and print and another you can download and print. The DS82 also includes important details about renewing a passport including tips, FAQs, fees, and statements. 

Do note that children under the age of 16 cannot use this form to renew their passports. In this instance, children (and their adults) should process a DS-11 Form.

Refer to our DS-82 overview for additional details about this passport renewal form.

Form DS-5504 (Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement)

The DS-5504 form is used to update and correct information on a passport. This form is ideal if, by some chance, the information on one’s passport is incorrect. Or, in instances of marriage or divorce in which an individual changes names. You may also use this form if replacing a passport that was issued with less than 10 years of validity.

Please refer to our DS-5044 form overview for more information about this form.

Quick Tips Regarding U.S. Passport Applications

  • Forms come with complete instructions (read these before completing the forms)
  • Forms can be filled out digitally but then must be printed for submission
  • Forms are color-coded for accessibility and to prevent confusion
  • Use standard 8.5” x 11” white paper when printing documents. Likewise, print documents in portrait and at full resolution (not zoomed)
  • Documents are available as PDF. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader or a Reader alternative to access (and optionally electronically file) the forms.

U.S. Passport Forms for Special Occasions

The DS-11, DS-82, and DS-5504 will cover most instances of what individuals need when applying, renewing, or correcting a U.S. passport. However, there are special circumstances and occasions that may arise and require different forms and processes.

The following are those passport forms for special occasions:

DS-64 Form (Reporting Your Passport Lost or Stolen)

The DS-64 application is used when you have lost a valid passport book and need to notify the State Department that your passport book has become lost or stolen. This form is required if you need to obtain a new passport using the new passport form.

Please refer to our DS-64 form overview for more information about this form.

DS-3053 Form (Statement of Consent for Issuing a Passport to a Child)

The DS3053 Application is for Parents of U.S. citizens who would not be able to present their children’s passport application to the passport agency. This form would need to be signed and notarized to be present to the passport agency.

Please refer to our DS-3053 form overview for more information about this form.

DS-5525 Form (Statement of Special Family Circumstances)

The DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances is an application form for non-applying parents who are looking to obtain a passport for a child where the other parent/guardian consent could not be obtained.

Please refer to our DS-5525 form overview for more information about this form.

DS-86 Form (Statement You Did Not Receive Your U.S. Passport)

The DS-86 form is used if you have completed, submitted, and mailed your passport but did not receive it (within 10 days of its processing and it is mailed back to you). 

This form is more involved than most others and may require you to call the National Passport Information Center for help with this passport form.

Other Passport Forms

There are two other passport forms in need of mention. This includes one to change your name on your passport and the other used for additional visa pages. While uncommon, do bookmark this page in case you have the need for these forms in the future.

DS-4085 Form (Additional Visa Pages)

The DS-4085 Application is used when you need to add more pages to your valid passport book. This is a short application where it’s just one page long.

Please refer to our DS-4085 overview for more information about this form.

DS-60 Form (Affidavit Change of Name Passport Application)

The DS-60 Affidavit of Change of Name is required when submitting a passport application with the following issues (1) your name is different than what is shown on your proof of citizenship or (2) has changed without court proceedings, and was not done by marriage.

Please refer to the DS-5504 form for passport corrections if this form type does not apply.