Passport for Minors FAQ

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

This page contains detailed information about travel requirements for minors traveling abroad from the United States. Both the “Search” bar at the top of the screen and the FAQ section are additional resources that are made available for answers to other questions.

All citizens of the United States, regardless of their age, are required to have their own passport to be used for the purposes of traveling abroad. The only exceptions to this rule are in the case of travel by land or by sea to Canada or Mexico and back again. In all other situations, the minor will be required to possess his or her own passport.

Obtaining a passport for a minor (defined as a person 15 years old or young) requires a few extra steps that are not present during the application process for an adult passport. These requirements are designed to guarantee the safety and well-being of the minor traveler in question.

For example, passports that have been previously issued to a minor cannot be renewed by mail. When the minor’s passport expires, you will need to submit Form DS-11 Application for New U.S. Passport, along with all other required documents, through the appropriate channels.

Applying for a passport or minor will also require the consent of the parents or legal guardians of the traveler in question, as required by the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs. Additionally, all passports issued to minors under the age of 16 will need to be notarized and will be submitted along with a consent statement that contains the parent’s identification data. Below are questions and answers for a passport for minors that other users have asked us in the past.