How to Get a Passport Name Change on U.S. Passport?

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Did you just get married or perhaps you have been divorced? Requesting a passport name change form and the State Department is a simple process. To do a passport name change, you need to have several documents in place before applying. A passport name change is required when newly married women take their husband’s last name. Additionally, divorced women sometimes plan to go back to using their maiden name by changing the last name on the passport.

Required Documents for Passport Name Change

  •  DS-5504 Application Form for Passport Name Change
  • Current Valid Passport:  If you have an existing passport, you will need to submit it along with the other documents required for a name change.
  • Passport Photo: The U.S. State Department requires anyone applying for a replacement passport to provide a “2X2” photo, in color, that was taken no more than six months ago.
  • Proof of Name Change: Evidence of Passport Name Change such as marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or another court document will suffice as proof of legal name change.
  • Passport Fee: In order to process your application for a name change.
    • Note: there is no fee for a name change if you obtained your passport within the last 12 months. If you are requesting expedited service you will have to pay the expedited service fee.

Common Passport Name Change for U.S. Citizens

Other life circumstances may also warrant a name change, but these are the two primary reasons why someone would need to change the name on their passport. From time to time printing errors occur on the passport, and would need to be corrected using a passport name change. If your name was changed voluntarily or by court order, you must follow the below directions.

Step 1: Fill out Application Form

You should fill out form DS-5504 completely and make sure you sign it in the appropriate location. Identify the proper location for mailing your application and supporting documents.

Step 2: Gather Supporting Documents

Assemble all of the required materials, including proof of name change, your current passport, and the fee payable to the U.S. State Department.

Step 3: Package & Send Documents

Remember, do not use a standard mailing envelope; in most cases, a Tyvek® envelope is often the preferred method of mailing since the envelope is waterproof and sturdier than a standard paper envelope. In most cases, it is recommended you mail these with return receipt requested.

Additional Name Change Information

If you received your passport more than 12 months ago

If you are eligible for form DS-82, you may download the form, fill it out, include in the package your original name change document (certified or original), color passport photos and applicable fees

If you are not eligible for form DS-82, you will be required to submit form DS-11 in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. You also need to provide proof of Citizenship along with all of the above documents.

Passport Renewal form DS-82 applies to people who have their most recent passport, were at least 16 years of age when they were issued their passport. If the passport is less than 15 years old, the passport has not been stolen or damaged, you use the same name as on your most recent passport, or your name change was due to marriage or court order. You will need to submit proper documentation that shows the change.